For those who might want more detail on the example I posted, "Afraid of the water?":

The photo was taken mid-afternoon Sunday after a very nice lunch at the Wharf's restaurant.
There were quite a few folks involved in water sports. When I looked at the little dinghy on the pontoon, all on its own and no one using it, it struck me as odd: such a nice day and no one using it?

So I thought of taking a shot of the "odd one out". Light was perfect: sunny Autumn day, warm, not a cloud anywhere, mid-afternoon starting to get the sunset "glow", deep dark blue water with a little breeze blowing.

Had to frame tight, didn't want to get any wind surfers and kayakers around. So I used the 105/2.5, the longest "tele" I had with me at the time. Had to walk to the end of the wharf, as near as possible to the pontoon, to get the tight framing I was after.

Switched to spot meter and checked the range of light. Waaaaaay too high for Velvia 50: more than 5 stops. So I decided to leave the water under the front of the pontoon in deep shade, with the underside of the pontoon in the dark. I was after the boat, not the pontoon!

There is some detail there if I really push the scanner but no point in stretching: the image works fine as is.

Metered the inside of the boat and had to decide how to place it. I thought way up (>+2) would "wash out" any detail inside the boat. So I went for a mid term.

Bracketed on manual for +0.5 and +1 on the inside, either would keep good texture of the white interior. Velvia 50 can cope easily with up to +1.5 and even +2 without washing out.
Since meters try to make everything "mid-grey", I gave it the extra to make the white really white without blowing it.

But I must have measured a little bit of the dark part of the interior with the spot meter, so it all ended up a bit lighter than I thought. The +1 was a bit washed out for my taste, while the +0.5 gave the overall light the "glow" I felt it had at the time.

Then it was just a matter of scanning and cropping tight, sharpening with Focus Magic and then downress for Apug use. I have made a 8X10 print of the slide scan and it worked really well.

And that's about all.