This is MY idea about MY OWN WORK.

I have been thinking about this a lot during last year or so. When I started photographing "stuff", I took picture of something that look like it made a good photograph. I followed rules of photography and made images that have nice composition, color, tones, subjects, etc. It went on for a few years. I became good enough to take "pretty pictures." Yup, they look like postcards.

I then ran into a problem. Why am I doing this? Why am I taking THIS photograph? Certain images resonated with me more then the other. I did landscape, I did portraiture, and I did everything else.

Then I realized, I seem to be taking images with full of emotional content. I like portrait of people interacting with others. I like landscape that indicates solitude. I like "stuff" that looks like it might speak - although pepper (for example) will never speak to an onion. Now, I look for a way to speak - photographically. That's my theme. That's my "artist statement."

My work isn't a social statement. My work is about my experience and my emotions. I didn't start out this way, but my work now speaks for me. It's not a theme I deliberately picked. It came out this way and it looks "right" to me.

I don't know if you can force this kind of thing. As a student of art, you will obviously go through several growth period - both technically, professionally, and personally. At one point, I'd imagine you'll want to say something - anybody listening or NOT. At that point, it will speak for you. Then, your work won't look like a postcard anymore.

That's my take.

By the way, I have no desire to be famous. I have no desire to sell my work. I have no desire to make this my profession. I did enough of turning hobby and passion into a paying job. Having money involved takes fun away from my passion.