Hi, Thank you for the replies. ISO 1 will get me to a decent start time.

smieglitz.. I believe you are right. I was shoot on both wide open and medium aperture from 3 to 15 seconds. If i see your test strip and compare my images appear to be grassy over exposed. I don't think that was an understatement at all I was going the wrong way thinking that I needed longer time. I believe the majority of clips I have seen are people shooting thru window light at increased exposures.
One question i have is are the abrasives or scrubbing done to clean or are you creating a surface for the collodion to grab on. Now that I am thinking about it glass is pretty smooth it might take some ridges for it to be able to cling on to. As for the developer and my pouring it sounds like that is what I am doing wrong. I am a bit to rough with the developer I need to be very delicate. I was under the impression the film layer was stronger than it is. From what you wrong my impression is that its very weak and tears easy. I am able to pour on the the plate without a problem I just want not sure because some of the the area of the plate looked fogged up. Now that I am thinking about it maybe that to is over exposure because the fogged area was sky or the brightest area of the plate.
I am curious if there is a better book available I have john coffers book and videos. now that I have tried this I am going to reread and watch the videos. It will make more sense now.
Back to my process. the brownie I have the glass fits in easily. there are two rails where the film would run. I had the class cut exactly to fit in there 2 3/4 inches by 4 1/4. the plate drops right onto the back where the film would slide. the back slides over the only issue i have is the little latches are a pain to undo with gloves. I found a thorton pickard half plate camera that is compete its on its way to me via fed ex. I should have it by monday. I could not wait though and wanted to attempt to do a few plates. My original plan was to learn on the box camera and see if i could get a decent result that i liked enough to want to pursue this further.
for now i pour the plate with collodion in full light. I have a small dish that i have the silver bath in I placed that in a photo paper box. the light safe one from my dark room. It is kind of simple actually. the plate if fully submerged in the silver. except for the one time I am doing the sensitizing under red light. mine is father away than yours. I made need to move it because its hard to see the developing. after i expose i go back to the dark room lights off pour developer. wait then poor water then fixer. I think you are correct in that i am over exposing with fresh chemicals its most likely faster than i was thinking.

I am going to try again today this time i will be a big more gentle with the film layer. I think I am tearing it when i fix it. my agitation is more like paper not being delicate for the collodion. I am see that the collodion really is not stable until it is varnished ? I do not recall though would a negate image be varnished ? As i was writing this i went back and looked at my test plates and maybe they are not as bad as i thought so its just fragile until they are fully dried. so I am maybe to rough with the wet image.

Are you referencing a book ? is there a better source of reading the John's book or notes? I will be honest i have not read the entire thing so maybe its time to do a bit more reading. I am going to try a few more today and see if I can get a better result.

David