dynachrome, in my experience the only setup that works well for shooting moving subjects is a lens, preferably a fixed focal length macro lens, with auto diaphragm on an SLR that will stop the lens down when the exposure is taken and flash illumination. Depending on the situation the flash can be attached to the camera body, to the front of the lens, to the subject holder, or on a tripod. Re subject holder, I have a portable photographic aquarium with arms that accept flashes, e.g., 283s.

I didn't mention format because the key elements of macro setups for moving subjects are SLR and auto diaphragm, which are available for formats up to 6x7.

I waffled about flash setup because there are many that work fairly well. FWIW, all of my flash rigs use "manual" flash with either fixed output (sometimes reduced by putting ND gels in front of the flash(es)) or variable power (283s with VP-1s). Also FWIW, all of my flash rigs are precalibrated. When I use one of them, all I have to do is choose the magnification to use, dial it in, then set flash output (if the rig allows it), look up aperture to set in the calibration table, set aperture, and shoot away. Or select magnification, select aperture, and set flash output. Which I do depends on the situation.

But for static subjects, many other setups will work very well. When I can use it, I much prefer my 210/9 Konica Hexanon GRII to my 200/4 MicroNikkor AIS. IMO the 200/4 MicroNikkor AIS is far from the best lens Nikon has made.