I can only go off of what I've owned or do own.

I love my 24mm f/2.8 AIS and hear the 28mm f/2.8 AIS is even better. I cannot find fault with mine. For the ridiculously low price you'll pay, I don't see why one wouldn't get a 50mm f/1.8 whether it's the AI, AIS or E-series. I owned the 50mm f/1.4 AIS and sold it to keep my 50mm f/1.8 E-series. It seemed softer, was heavier, was larger and I didn't see a need for both.

Now, onto my two favorites: The Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AIS and the 85mm f/1.4 AIS. The 55mm is razor RAZOR sharp and works as a 1:2 macro lens without an extender or 1:1 macro lens with the PK13 extension tube. It's really my first choice for an everyday lens with my FE2 (in fact, I have my FE2 and Micro-Nikkor with me at work today). The 85mm is awesome for portraits and low-light. I used that setup with NPH film in a dim room where everyone else was using flashes, last night. Regardless of how great the 85mm f/1.4's pictures are, I kind of wish I hadn't traded my 85mm f/2 AIS in for it. Not only is the f/2 half the price, it's 1/3 the size and 1/3 the weight. If you can stand using an f/2.8 lens, the Micro-Nikkor is amazing. If you can stand the size of the 85mm f/1.4 AIS, it's a beautiful lens as well. I could really use those two as my only lenses for most everything.