Quote Originally Posted by Harold33 View Post
That's exactly how I understand the situation.

On this last statement, I disagree: a strong edge effect (as provided by high-diluted rodinal) may be disturbing, at least for me, specially with large prints. (that's why, in my opinion, the rendition of some nude photographs by Ralph Gibson looks better in printed books than original silver-prints).

I like PC-TEA very much because there is not edge effect at all, but it's also true that perceived sharpness with this developer is not always very impressive.
I do not mean that you need a strong edge effect with 35 mm. I mean: you need some edge effect. My approach is to start with a minimum edge effect ( a non distorting High Definition developer). And then I imodify the development if I need some edge effect. And, you have to realize that the amount of edge effect is not just determined by the film and developer. It depends also on the quality of the lenses. If you have an optical systerm that is good in rendering the details ( high MTF in the high spatial frequencies), you better avoid the edge effects. Many modern lenses are quite good in rendering details. Then, one has to becareful with the edge effect.
In a recent APUG meeting we could compare prints from Rodinal and pyrocat HD on medium format. I cetainly prefer the Rodinal. The edge effects were in the Rodinal better (less) than in de pyrocat HD. My personal preference for 4x5"however, is a developer with real low edge effects. A real HD developer ( low distortion in the high spatial frquencies).

Jed