When my stepsister got remarried, my wedding gift to her was a set of framed photos of her kids plus an 11x14 print of her wedding portrait. All for free. (Of course! It was a gift! ) For several weeks before the wedding, I kept my camera close by at all times during any family gathering and took candids of the kids. During the wedding, I shot over the hired photographer's shoulder. (I knew the photographer. He was my uncle. He knew what I was doing. He was okay with it. I made sure I stayed in the background, letting him take the lead on everything. I was basically just the "backup guy.") Over the span of about a month, I shot five or six rolls of film plus another three rolls at the wedding. I spent a couple of weeks in the darkroom, printing pictures in my spare time.I ended up with four 5x7s of the kids plus the 11x14. The 5x7s went into a 4-opening collage frame. The 11x14 in its own frame.Right there, the project would probably be worth $250 to $300 on the "Friends and Family" discount. If it was work for hire, I'd ask $500 and accept $400 after bargaining. On top of that, I my wife, my brother and stepbrother had cameras at the wedding. One of them had a video camera.All of that material, the video, the digi-pics and the scanned traditional pictures got edited into a video & slide show and burned onto a DVD.The whole package, the framed traditional pictures, the digi-pics, the video and everything would probably be worth $750 to $1,000 for anybody else but, for family, I would never think of charging a penny. That doesn't mean that I can't, politely and calmly tell them how much their gift might be worth. I wouldn't tell them at the time the gift is presented but, certainly in conversation some time after.They have the right to know the value of what they are getting. Don't they? I think so. Furthermore, if any of her friends see my work, they might like to know how much I would charge to do a similar job for them. After all that, I still have the negatives and retain all the rights to them. Even though I would never allow them to be widely published without asking first, I still maintain those pictures in my portfolio and show them to people who want to see my work. Should I have occasion to display those pictures in a gallery setting, I certainly would tell my stepsister that I'm doing it but I feel no obligation to get explicit permission to do so unless I expected to sell any of those images. After all, I spent time money and energy to make those pictures int he first place. I deserve to recover something for my work even if it is only artistic recognition. Immediate family and close friends just get photos for free or at cost. I don't even think about it. If they asked me for a special favor the maximum I'd ask is cost plus beer money. For ordinary friends and coworkers, I'd figure up an actual cost then figure in the "Friends and Family" discount which varies depending on how much I like them and how much time I have to do the project. Anybody else pays my price, take it or leave it. For CDs, they are always at an extra cost. A minimum of $50.All those pictures are compressed JPEGS, 300 pixels, at the largest. They are all DigiMarked. They all have my name and copyright info in the metadata. I also include a "ReadMe" text file at the root directory of the CD with my name, address, image descriptions and copyright statement. If anybody wants anything more than that, they pay more. A likely cost will be $100 and up. IF they want a copyright release it will cost them $250 (or more) ON TOP OF the cost of the CD as it would be without the release. Even then, I still maintain possession of the copyright. I only give them permission to use the images for their own purpose. All of that would be included in the "ReadMe" file mentioned above. This, I learned from my time working for the Picture People studio in the local shopping mall, two Christmas seasons ago. We always had people trying to use those CDs to make end-runs around paying the studio for reprints. It was stupid because we ALWAYS had coupons, discount specials or frequent customer bonuses that would let them get reprints for a price that was comparable to what they'd pay WalMart for reprints. If I liked a customer enough, I could usually "stack" discounts and coupons so that they could get reprints for $1.00 or even free. But, no! There were always people who tried to get something for nothing. Those are "always" the same people who call you back and complain that they get crappy prints off their inkjet or bitch because WalMart refuses to reprint pictures off those CDs. Bottom line: Yes, do something nice for your customers if you like them and make them a CD but don't let them treat you like a doormat just because they have "digital copies" of those pictures.