Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022
Your inability to pre-visualize is a personal failing that might be remedied by some ritual, like viewing through a filter, but more likely is simply beyond your artistic potential.

(Jdef inspired me to point this out.)

Thanks to all to reply to my question, it pointed out several things for me:

1. everybody seems to have a different degree of 'visualisation' - depending on the subject they are photographing, and also on the photography experience.

2. practice helps (I sort of knew that before, but it is always good to remind oneself of that)

3. Slowing things down helps, too!

The comment quoted above made me smile, as I never saw myself as an artist. I think it comes down to what you want to achieve with your photography. For me personally it was primarily a hobby to get my mind off things, and secondly a diary type activity - recording what happens around me. My biggest ambition in this respect is to present my two girls with a nice book full of pictures of themselves when they reach 18 - I have no ambition to go much further than this sort of thing.

So Chuck is probably correct in saying that this is beyond my artistic capability - but then I must have some visualisation in me, otherwise I would not be able to produce any reasonable pictures intentionally. Well, define reasonable then...

One thing seems clear...slowing down will help the visualisation. Therefore I will try to make an effort in slowing down things and practise. I will probably help that I have bought a Sinar Norma 4x5, and I can't wait to get going with it.

And if I don't improve...well, at least I have enjoyed myself, and that is what this is all about!

Ansgar