Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
Welcome to A.P.U.G Douglas, you just don't get that sort of quality and tonality you get with 4X5 with digital.
That may be true eventually, but right now, for me, I have a lot more control and I know what I'm doing with digital. I started shooting digital professionally and stopped shooting film in about 2002. Prior to that I shot 2 1/4 and 4x5, a little 8x10, mostly E6. Even though I was shooting it every day, I didn't process and print my own work, so it was really a lot longer since I have done much in the dark room.

Even though I liked digital, my decision to shoot it was not really a personal choice. The market I was working in, pretty much demanded it. There were a couple of hold outs who continued to shoot film for a while, but they were losing clients who wanted the immediacy of film. Art directors had always been willing to wait for their images to run through the lab, but once they had the taste, they often wanted to take the files with them at the end of the shoot. It was a huge shift in what and how we did things. I actually started creating better images than I did when I shot film. It wasn't that digital was better, but that I had more control. I don't have that control with film yet with the processing and scanning. I'm shooting film that's more than a decade out of date, and developing in my bathroom, and I'm just figuring out how to scan.
If I am the end user, It's all about the image. I don't necessarily care how the image was created. However, as the creator, the process is a big part of it.

I'm having a great time rediscovering the love for the process (most of the time).
Doug