I'm 37. I first learnt the process from my dad when I was very young. He photographed the family with B&W film and Kodachrome. Most friday nights he'd print B&W and I'd watch. I used to love going to the photo stores with him at the time when he'd buy materials. The stores had shelves and shelves of every chemical, film, paper and darkroom gizmo you could imagine. And of course I thought my dad's Leica was the coolest.

To be honest, if young people are to be interested in analog, I think the hope lies in hybrid processes - ie digital capture and wet-printing enlarged digital negatives. Personally I love using film, but I assume to the average young photography buff today, film processing might just seem like an unnecessary old pain in the ass. However the idea of using digital negatives to make all kinds of interesting analog prints using different processes might be more interesting to them. First, there are processes which can't really be duplicated with digital output (at least for now). Second, it gives more serious practitioners the satisfaction of producing a hand-made, fairly unique final product (which might have more prestige ?? too).

There was a lengthy thread on hybrid processes a while back. Bob Carnie was a key contributor to that thread and noted it seemed to be easier to get young people excited about hybrid processes.