I'm 38. Been shooting film all my life but only got serious once I moved to Japan back in 1999 and realized I wanted more than what a point and shoot could give me. I got my first SLR in 2001 at a time when the camera stores still sold mostly film cameras, but probably 1/3 to 1/2 the stock was digital. At that time I really didn't consider digital at all, although by the time I left in 2005 virtually everyone I knew had gone that route. After all the work I did in learning to be a photographer with film, the last thing I wanted to do was give that up for another process, especially one that required frequent upgrades and lots of computing power for storage and PS work (I didn't even have a computer back then). Meanwhile, after shooting slides for years, I wanted to do more in black and white so took a course at Ryerson in Toronto and haven't looked back since.

I returned to Japan in 2010 and the biggest shock for me was how little film photography is here compared to before. It's still a lot better than back home though -- I can pick up 35mm and 120 rolls of colour neg, slide, or black and white film in some combination or another at every camera shop in the city (although stock is limited), and get slides developed and returned to me in less than 2 hours. But paper and chemicals for darkroom printing requires trips to larger cities than this one. The older Japanese men who used to be amused at my manual Nikon FE back in the early 2000s (while they shot very high-end sophisticated AF gear, mostly Canon), has turned into a different kind of (mostly nostalgic) amusement for me shooting film (both 35mm and MF) while they shoot with very high-end DSLRs.

I love working in the darkroom, and I love working with different kinds of cameras. Unless supplies (film, paper, chemicals) disappear completely, I think I'll be sticking with film for quite some time.