Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
This recognition, in real life, of a rhythm of surfaces, lines, and values is for me the essence of photography; composition should be a constant of preoccupation, being a simultaneous coalition – an organic coordination of visual elements. - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Don't get me wrong, I love Cartier-Bresson, and I have the utmost respect for your words and contributions, Vaughn. But how does one 'coordinate' visual elements? Unless you actually reach out and physically move things around, you have no control of how things are coordinated; they happen the way they happen because X amount of people, animals, and other objects decide to move based on their intention and forces of nature. The photographer is not in control of anything other than the shutter and where to aim the lens. I really love how Jay Maisel calls it 'framing' instead of composition.
However Thomas, I don't agree with your take on this. The coordination of visual elements is a combination of framing, flow of time and the moment you press the shutter. You don't have to physically move things around. That sounds a bit like Photoshop.