Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
why not just tape it to a window?
Thanks for suggesting this, Ralph, and for responding to my question, I appreciate it.

Wouldn't it be necessary to eliminate the reflections from the surface of the tablet when taped to a window (or to a milky plexi)? Similar to Michael's question, I am not quite sure why the procedure suggests the use of a transmission target, as opposed to a reflection one. I suspect it is easier to make transmission work accurately than dealing with different types of reflections, but I would love to know your thinking about this a little more. In any case, taping a tablet to a window would still leave an element of reflected light in play, unless the tablet-to-lens path was somehow shielded. I realise that those reflections would be a good few stops less than the transmissions, but wouldn't they matter?

I think I understand why it is necessary to have the entire optical system in use, lens, bellows etc, so as to account for the flare, shutter behaviour, aperture etc, while performing the test. I wonder if having the tablet sandwiched to the film, as Nick and Chuck mentioned, would make a significant difference to the results.

Ralph, you are very generous suggesting that I contact you by email or Skype. If you don't mind, I would like to take you up on this offer, especially when I have run the tests, perhaps in the next two weeks. I am about to order a densitometer today—I've never had one in the years I've been printing... Time to get that experience under my belt. "Way Beyond Monochrome" is an amazing compendium of knowledge, supported by logic, and it has awoken my desire to rethink and to question many of my habits. There is nothing else approaching the scope and the detail of your and Chris's book on the market, nowadays.