If you get the results you want, that's all that matters. But my own objective is to understand color neg films well enough to get them to approximate or even surpass certain expectation I had after years of printing chromes. That takes a lot of testing. And the different Kodak film are really engineered for different markets.
Portra 160 is one thing, 400 another, and Ektar yet a different animal. It's not simply a matter of latitude or contrast. The three color layers in color neg film are not as well differentiated in chromes. Just compare the spectral sensitivity charts of negs vs chromes, or even of the respective color neg products themselves. Films
like Portra 160 are engineered to produce complex warm neutrals, namely, pleasing skintones under a wide variety of lighting circumstances. If you have a similar kind of color in the scene like a warm earthtone or orange,
it is going to fall into the same hue category. Greens still tend to be contaminated with a lot of cyan. Overexposure will overlap the dye curves even more. Not a felony unless you're trying to protect the reproduction of certain fussy non-skin hues too, which if in fact the name of the game in most landscape photography, or possibly in enviro portraiture. A different problem than say, copying a painting under controlled
studio lighting of limited contrast range, then boosting the contrast afterward for reproduction. After a lot of
futzing around (painfully, for sure, given the cost of 8X10 color film and real prints!), I'm beginning to understand
what it take to make these films work as a substitute for chrome. Of course, I'm hedging my bet by stuffing the
freezer with film just in case Kodak tanks. But I made the transition once it was apparent Cibachrome was going
under and RA4 is the future of high-quality color printing. I don't want prints that look like traditional color neg
work! I want clean, crisp differentiated hues across a wide spectrum. But in the process I've learned a few
things that will help just about anyone improve their results, if they're interested.