I suspect the flurry of motion is part of what draws attention. I find a lot of modern digi-SLR users don't bother with lens caps, so just raise the camera to their eye, shoot (auto-everything, of course), and lower it again. By contrast, with, say my Bronica S2, I have to open the hood, unscrew (not pinch to remove) a massive metal lens-cap (which goes 'Klank' if I fumble it), wind on (or un-set the shutter release lock if already wound), set the aperture, turn the S2's side briefly toward me to set a shutter speed, brace myself against a tree, compose and focus, shoot (finally), fold the hood, and replace the lens cap. (And that's the best case -- camera already out of the bag; Sunny 16 instead of getting a meter out; no tripod mounting; no attaching filters; no checking DOF.) Forget changing films; any time bits completely come off the camera, like the S2's film back inserts or the entire trousers on many old German rangefinders, it is surprising even to people who remember film but used only mainstream SLRs with swing doors. "Is that thing so old it's falling apart?"
--Dave