Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
Just remember that 160 is the softer of the two films, and flora,fauna,and rocks might look a little bland. It's more a portrait film giving gentle skintones. Portra 400 will have more spunk and obviously allow faster shutter speeds. Please excuse all my complicated explanations in the foregoing posts - but it might become useful in the long run to someone. Like I said, I'd just buy a slightly warm sky
filter and leave it on the whole time to both protect the lens and correct a little for excess blue
at high altitude or along the beach. Use whatever metering technique you are most comfortable with, including in-camera metering. Switching meters takes practice to perfect, and a vacation is
generally not the right time for that kind of distraction! Above all, have a fun and safe trip!
No need to apologize. This thread has given me a lot of things to try. I'm going to be shooting several rolls of film this weekend and try some of the techniques I've learned here. After looking at the results I'll see what works for me and what doesn't.

The roll of Portra 400 I shot I experienced blue cast in the shadows. I didn't know what it was. The 81A filter showed up today.

By "softer" do you mean color or IQ? I was thinking 160 would be better at IQ, for shooting macros and close up photography. I was looking for a film that would give more naturalistic colors, at least not garish vibrancy. Is there a better film out there in the 100 ISO range for my purposes? I haven't even shot a roll of Portra 160, so there's no problem with me trying something different at this point.
Thanks,