Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
Punctuation goes inside the quotes, big guy.
Yah, that is what they teach in the universities these days. I recently took a class that was called "professional writing", but was really "writing for professionals". From there it went down hill. No self respecting secretary from the 1950's would have allowed any such crap as the "professor" taught to leave their desk except to the waste basket. Not only was this stuff not a third or fourth year college class, it was not even an acceptable high school class back in the days when students were expected to learn something rather than just be there.

Punctuation goes inside the quotes when the whole sentence is quoted. It goes outside the quotes when the quote is contained inside a sentence. If you think that is wrong go up to the above sentence and replace "professor" with "professor." (There I did it your way, and it is still wrong wrong wrong! Semantically, grammatically, and logically wrong.)

The funny thing is everyone remembers the rules, but not the part that goes, "..., except when...". (A period does not follow ellipses, except when separated by a closing quote.)

Sorry, I get upset when people start spouting rules while ignoring the "except when". Almost every English grammatical rule has an "except when".