I don't know, Gene, I think maybe you could get a few more before your better half starts to move your stuff to the curb. My own strategy has been to have all of my gear in the "studio," a repurposed garage separate from the house. What is not in the house is not a problem for Lena, and when I trip over something inside, it's more likely to be her stuff, not mine!

I don't want to leave the impression that this "collector" lived in squalor. His home, in one of the wealthiest suburbs of Boston, is quite lovely; clean, up to date and not really cluttered at all. It's just that it is a large home, with no kids. There are many, many hiding places in a home like this, and he took advantage of each and every one of them. I also believe he liked to keep his gear in good shape. It may have simply gotten away from him in the last few years of his life. I don't know much about him.

PHSNE auctions, for those who are serious in wanting to know, are at various times. There is a members auction in February, and will likely be auctions following each of the next three or four Photographica shows, which happen in the spring and the fall. The next show is in Wakefield, MA, on September 22-23. Look at the PHSNE website for information. As I have said more than once, PHSNE is a great organization, well worth a look. Monthly meetings, open to the public, are opportunities to hear from knowledgeable collectors, dealers and historians about images, methods and gear. They put out a monthly newsletter and The Journal, a yearly publication that is sent to and collected by libraries as well as members. The shows each spring and fall are what attracted me, but the people are what keep me interested. Saturday's adventure of discovery, as box after box of camera gear was unloaded on the table, was a great time–– and working with the other guys who sorted the stuff made me realize how little I know in comparison.