Quote Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Thank-you everyone, for your thoughtful replies.

I just thought of something! My camera has 116 spools in it; in fact it actually has 116 film in it! So, (and please forgive my total lack of knowledge on this subject) is it possible to simply use the existing backing paper from this old 116 film, and re-spool some 120 onto the 116 spool? If this is possible, then the frame numbers should still align perfectly with the window, and everything would (should?) work just fine, correct?

Is there a knack to re-spooling film? I will have to Google this to see what I can learn; maybe can find a detailed tutorial/Youtube video or something. As I stated earlier, the camera is immaculate, and it's indeed a shame that it isn't still being used. And I'm thinking that as I already have the 116 spools, and even 116 backing paper, then re-spooling is the best way to go, rather than attempting to modify 120 spools.

So, calling all experienced re-spoolers... do I need a degree in "Re-spooling 101" to tackle this, or am a worrying needlessly?

Thanks,
Glen
if you have the paper and two spools it should be fine -- a strip of 120 is going to be a bit shorter than a 116 was, since you get 8 shots with each, so plan on only getting seven or so by putting 120 on a 116 spool -- be careful with removing the old film, it is held in place with tape and you don't want to tear the backing paper, maybe just cut the old film off and leave the glued down bit of film there, you can tape the new film end to it -- you will have to experiment a bit with where to start it rolling up on the feeder spool because you put the loose-untaped- end film in first and you want it to attach at the right place -- so figure out in the open with a dead roll of 120, roll the film and paper until you get where the film is taped up on, then tape it down, because that is the end that is pulled through the camera, but that's just mechanics and you'll figure it out. It might even be easier to tape it down at both ends but, again, be careful of your 60-year-old backing paper. Keep the film reasonably centered and away you go!