Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Splitting the large portraits thread (also, keep in mind we have a gallery category for this as well: http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browseimages.php?c=517 ).

The original thread post below from Argentic:

Darkroom portraits

The first darkroom you build for an enemy.
The second one you build for a friend.
And the third one you build for yourself.

I too have built several darkrooms. I built one which I loved in the basement of my home in Maine, but left that behind 3 years ago when I moved to California. I used rental darkrooms for a while, but for a variety of reasons, those were not working out, so I built a new, temporary darkroom. Since we are renting in CA, this made it impossible to do some things that I would have liked to, and here in CA, we have much less space, so the darkroom is in about half the area that my last one was in - the new darkroom is 8'x10'. It is built as a free standing structure within the garage of our rented home, so when we move next, we will be able to disassemble it and bring it with us. For power, I have two power feeds - I get a little bit of power from the existing electric in the garage, but that was not going to be enough for everything, so I also put in a sub panel, which powers the enlarger, the print dryers and some misc other stuff - that is powered by an extension cord which plugs into the dryer outlet- so I can't print and do laundry at the same time. Water comes from a connection to a faucet in the garden....

One improvement over my last darkroom is that I built a cabinet to hold my Jobo processor - I had been storing it under my sink and putting it in the sink when processing, but it is getting elderly, and they were not really built to be moved around a lot, so I think that it is happier in it's own cabinet. There is storage below the processor for the drums, bottles etc.