Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
I'm interested in hearing about how people plan and execute their photography projects.
Planning and executing a photography project makes the whole procedure irksome. When I quit professional photography I promised myself I'd never do it again. Now I do photography full time, just about everyday, as energy, vision, imagination, and creativity permits.

Specifically, I would love to hear from people who have completed multi-year projects, not just shooting them, but getting all of the tedious back end work completed as well: processing, proofing, editing hundreds of images down to thoughtful groups, and printing it all.
My multi-decade non-project entitled "what does a person produce when they do photography all the time?" has no tedious back end work. Processing is so routine I could almost do it in my sleep. I do all my proofing and editing mentally before actually exposing film so the chore and expense and time of sorting and discarding pictures of ill-formed thoughts is avoided. "Printing" or the making of the final positive photographs is not an impost. It's the reason and joyous culmination of all the effort that has gone before.

We all love to shoot, I'm sure.
I find chasing subject matter and doing camera-work the least pleasant part of the workflow. But it is a necessary evil.

And then most of us are probably pretty decent at getting our contact sheets made and knocking out a few finished prints.
All my contact sheets are done mentally before exposing film. Finished prints are the pay off and the emotion in making them is more akin to a sacrament than a knock-off.

But how many of us have what it takes to just get in there and grind out the prints that need to get done? I can get going for a while, but invariably, I lose steam. Most photographers I've talked with have different ways of handling their work flow, so I'd love to hear yours, as specific as possible. And please let us all know WHY something works.
Plenty of people give their lives over to their art. Musicians do it, painters do it, photograph makers do it, and if the committment is genuinely (search your soul) whole hearted there is no resentment over the time gone and the work done.

For example, do you process films only on odd-numbered Tuesdays? Do you like to shoot all year and then print your best stuff during the winter months? Great! Buy WHY, in a very practical sense, does it work for you?

Thanks for your time.
[/QUOTE]
I process when there is enough for a delightful day in the darkroom. And at other times plan themes, pursue subject matter, fuss with cameras, catch up with APUG, etc. The big change for me came when I not only stopped working like a professional but stopped thinking like a professional. What liberation!