Thanks, PE. I have some glyoxal coming in and am looking forward to trying that instead. But, what is a prehardener?

Here's something I found yesterday and was wondering if anyone could comment. I had two sheets coated with real emulsion using erythritol. The first had a little chrome alum added (5 drops 3% solution in 20 ml ethanol. This was added as surfactant / hardener 1 ml in 25ml emulsion). When the first coated sheet didn't glop, I added 2ml of the 10% chrome alum to the remaining ~12ml emulsion and coated the second sheet. (The second sheet didn't glop either) Now, on exposing a cut 120 size frame from each sheet, @ 1/8sec, f/5.6 dev in stock XTOL 5 min, the frame from the first sheet gave density about what I expected, but the frame from the second sheet was heavily fogged and maybe 1/4 the sensitivity. This was the from same melt of emulsion, just the CA was greatly increased in the second sheet.

Would Chrome Alum do that to the emulsion?

Regardless, I don't believe that much hardener as in the second sheet is needed. Adding erythritol at 5% (v/v) rate to the emulsion has seemed to cure the frilling problem. I made 4 negatives yesterday, all from cut pieces, with no frilling at all. My erythritol was a ~70% solution, 35 grams (and change) in 50ml DW. IDK if this much erythritol is needed - maybe less would do.

If I can figure out how to scan a 6x9 negative, I will post some. I did one 35mm and maybe will get some time to post that this evening.

-- Jason

PS: XTOL seems to not be a great developer choice. Maybe need a more "historical" developer. Fog is also slowly increasing in my emulsion because it's getting pretty old now.