Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
You'll find very few Tektronix manuals online for a couple of reasons:
The supply voltage (top pin) on my 7834 measures +15.145 volts, so it is regulated in the 'scope.
The middle pin is the trigger to the camera, and appears to go to ground briefly (did not investigate fully).
The bottom pin is ground (0 volts).
Sorry for the model number typo/dyslexia there.

The reason I suspect that the camera itself contains a voltage regulator is that the optional battery pack uses 12 AA batteries. When fully charged 12 x 1.5 would mean 18V, and of course that would start to drop toward 15V as they get depleted. So it seems like, unless they battery pack has a regulator which it might, 15-18V input would be normal?

The "single sweep" mode was used for recording transient events. These might be predictable, like the inrush current of a motor
when you start it up, or unpredictable like a failure or fault condition. The camera would be triggered by the 'scope when the
sweep was initiated, making the system totally automatic. One sweep could take up to 100 seconds.
I think I get it after reading some Wikipedia. So you set up some trigger looking for some transient problem, go to sleep, some sort of spike or something sets off the trigger, the oscilloscope starts a sweep, and once the screen is "full" the camera automatically takes a photo. You then get up in the morning and see some blinking light or something, and pull out the polaroid to see what happened. That certainly makes such a camera seem much more useful.

The NO and NC outputs would be used for starting external devices, like a chart recorder or similar. The oscilloscope could be used
to initiate recording of data over a very long period of time, like hours or days or longer. No flash was used with these cameras.
Ok... I just saw something about X-sync in the catalog and to me that implied flash, but that's just because I'm thinking purely in camera terms. Hmm... actually I see something about a flash in the C-5C for lighting up non-illuminated graticules... Anyway...

I wouldn't be inclined to waste much time on 'scope camera optics. The lenses were not of high quality, and were optimized (if at all)
for roughly 1:1 reproduction ratios.
I basically agree. The only real use I can think of for the thing as is (other than it's original intended purpose) is something like making copies of images for emulsion transfers or something, and that assumes you can put some sort of diffused "ringlight" or something inside the thing without causing halation.

It looks like the 53mm Ilex Oscillo-Paragon lens in this thing might be worth a little bit to someone with a view camera (apparently it's not too terrible as a view camera "macro" lens), and the shutter may be worth a little more to someone. With that stuff stripped out it seems like the thing is probably only suitable as an unnecessarily heavy box to make a pinhole out of. Anyway, I guess I'll probably just strip this thing. The mounting adapter is gone, and not surprisingly the darkslide is missing from the polaroid back. (Someone probably took the thing out as soon as they got it, put it in some drawer somewhere, and never used it again.) Maybe I'll hang onto the lens to play with since I'm planning to get a view camera at some point.

At least the polaroid back is useful.