Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
It's not surprising that landscape features strongly in APUG in the form of large format photography.

Landscape as a genre offers a rich metaphoric space for visual commentary on virtually everything except perhaps the minutae of ever shifting personal relations. The messages of landscape are carried in its textures, tones, and spaces and these qualities are just what the slow but fine large format camera accesses better than anything else.

But it's not all one thing at APUG. I bet there are even some beguiled members of the Henri Cartier-Bresson fan club here, maybe a Minox enthusiast or two, and doubtless some digital lurkers. E pluribus unum and all that.
This makes a lot of sense to me, about the view camera and landscape. A lot of photographers, I believe, feel that there's a natural progression to 'graduate' to bigger formats, as if they are better or more impressive. And when they start shooting sheet film, I think they realize how much more time and patience is required to set up a frame, that they sort of progress toward the landscape, to paraphrase Keith's post above, because the subject matter patiently waits for them to be ready.
This was true for me when I went from 120 to 4x5, and I think it is in that transition that people either go 'woohoo, I found the perfect tool', or 'this isn't working for me'. Since so many people shoot landscape anyway, I just think that it's natural that so many folk shoot landscape with a view camera.

I cheer every time I see people breaking out of norms, shooting landscape with 35mm Tri-X or does street photography with a Hasselblad.