Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
This makes a lot of sense to me, about the view camera and landscape. A lot of photographers, I believe, feel that there's a natural progression to 'graduate' to bigger formats, as if they are better or more impressive. And when they start shooting sheet film, I think they realize how much more time and patience is required to set up a frame, that they sort of progress toward the landscape, to paraphrase Keith's post above, because the subject matter patiently waits for them to be ready.
This was true for me when I went from 120 to 4x5, and I think it is in that transition that people either go 'woohoo, I found the perfect tool', or 'this isn't working for me'. Since so many people shoot landscape anyway, I just think that it's natural that so many folk shoot landscape with a view camera.

I cheer every time I see people breaking out of norms, shooting landscape with 35mm Tri-X or does street photography with a Hasselblad.
I'm really glad you posted this, I always had that same thought pattern about the 'natural progression', probably from my Dad raving about 'professional' medium format cameras when I was a kid. I got (and still get) very frustrated with myself for not being able to produce great work in every field with my 'ultimate' camera... and stepping down a format is admitting failure (or so my over-thinking brain has told me). Even though I do use all my formats as tools to produce a great product, the past few months in particular have been a real revelation that it's okay to use whatever YOU ( I!) feel is the best tool for the job. Your post has helped cement that in my mind. Damn growing up in an artistic community full of 'Jones's!