Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
Sorry, Steve. Wrongo Mucho!

Qualified includes having the proper training, tools, lubricants, cleaning equipment, alignment jigs and fixtures, etc.

Being competent without any other qualifications is sufficient for making babies, but nothing else.

I am a professionally-trained camera repair tech. I worked as a repair tech full-time for four years,
with experience servicing Rollei's and Compur Shutters. I would definitely not suggest that anyone
try same without proper training, equipment, and documentation.

I still have a fully-equipped camera repair shop, including a huge inventory of replacement parts.

- Leigh

Sounds more like an advertisement to recuit business rather than encouragement. You'd think he was sending a man to the moon. Lighten up, it's only a broken camera.

Why discourage anyone from trying his hand at this? Anyone can repair a camera, it;'s not that difficult. It takes patience n the gray mater between your ears. Tools, lubes n cleaners are commonly available in hardware stores n online these days. All he needs is the courage n a few good tips from experianced people like you, if you can get over yourself.

BTW If it's already broken, how much more broken can it get by him doing the work? Worst case, he learned someting, gained some experiance n will give it another try, perhaps do better next time.. the camera will still be broken. No rocket science, no brainer.

How did you learn or figure out this was for you?... by trying or you went to camera college n earned a PhD?

I say go for it! Give it your best shot, read the manual, work slow n stay organised. Ask lots of questions when you get stuck n take pictures of your progress as reference points.

BTW that DIY reapir site you got the manual is a wonderful resource, join n post questions there since those people would rather try than to send it to a pro as many of em are retired repairmen with less of an attitude.