Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
What's in your tap water? Your local water bureau can tell you that. PE has said that Kodak had water with extra minerals found in some municiple waters on tap for use in their lab testing!
According to my shower, plenty of calcium. We get an annual report from the water district, and I'll look closer next time.

Last night, I let tap-water-based developer sit for an hour at 30C, which is roughly equal to two hours at 20C (thanks again for that correction). The test-strip shows no sign of speckling, despite obvious cloudiness in the dev. BTW, the precipitation was still staying in suspension, so it hadn't gotten far enough along to start settling to the bottom. This dev will be used soon after mixing, so I don't think any precipitation will progress enough to cause harm.

But remember that white cloudiness and scale in the concentrate (not water-solution) that I reported a week ago? It was triggered by mixing-in the Dimezone last, but did not occur when mixed first. Well, it even occurred in the concentrate where the Dimezone was mixed first. It just took a week to start. This also happened months ago with a highly concentrated dev I tried. But it has not happened in less concentrated samples that are six months old, nor has Alan Johnson reported it about his bottle of D316.

If you define "concentration ratio" as GramsOfPowders / MlOfFinalVolume, then the failing samples had ratios of .46 and .63, and the successful samples had ratios of .35 and .33. So I'm suspecting that when concentration ratio gets much above .35, the concentrate becomes susceptible to this crystallization-problem that PE described here. If so, then I need to reduce concentration, and I have some ideas for that. One is to reduce the ascorbic acid some, which will also reduce the metaborate. Another is to replace some of the metaborate with TEA. Or one could simply add more propylene glycol. If somebody has suggestions about this, I welcome them...

Mark Overton