Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
A very relevant point. One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is a proper assessment of what's in the negative before making the decision to print using a particular technique, split grade or otherwise. Particularly with a negative that looks like it could be tricky, I suggest always starting with a very soft proof (as Adams and many others have always recommended) especially if you are a less experienced worker. This will allow you to see what's in the negative. Which parts of the shadows have good detail, do the highlights have detail etc. Then decide how to proceed.
Makes good sense, Michael. I knew going in that these were poor negatives, unfortunately they are some of the best shots that I have of one of my favorite hunting dogs, so I'm trying to make the best of the situation. There is relatively good shadow detail in the negs, at the expense of the highlight detail. The prints will never be excellent quality, but I think I can get them good enough to add to my memory wall, and get in some practice at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and for your suggestions!

Griz