Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
Triboluminescence is caused when you pull the tape at the end of a film roll away from the film. The energy releases what appear to be small lightning bolts. Film is sensitive to this.

HOWEVER, true static electricity takes place in a dry lab when you unroll the film itself and discharge a built up static charge between your body or a reel and the film. Film is much more sensitive to this. In fact, this is why film is coated with an antistatic material incorporated int it.

PE
Thanks PE, I was referring to the fact you said the scotch tape light flashes were due to static electricity. As you wrote above and the links I gave suggest they are due to triboluminescence.
Also, you correctly pointed out that static discharge can be caused by the film unrolling.