Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
Richard,

I have used the 'opposing mirrors' method (search APUG, it's here) to align my Beseler 23CII. Having never used any fancy alignment tools I can't speak to the job they do but if you factor in the cost the homemade mirror tester is wonderful and should be tried first. I bought a 12" x 12" mirror tile from the local hardware bigbox and I had a glass cutter already. The glass in the tile was cheap so the reflected images had a green cast (iron in the glass I think) but it worked well and helped. A lot. I also bought a glass negative carrier (no $regrets, and 'four surface dust' has not been an issue), but the trick of using the glass out of a slide mount is something I wish I had thought of. I have a box of Agfa mounts somewhere...

Good luck, the results are worth the effort.

s-a

Hey s-a
I have a slide negative carrier and maybe I will do something with that.
If you find the glass neg. holders, keep me in mind. I would be glad to buy one from you.

I spent the day ( between a nap ) working on the enlarger adjusting it for level and correctness.
It wasn't that far off for being square with the baseboard. I did use the glass carrier and tried one without. What a difference!!!!!!!! I couldn't tell any buckling but I know the neg. wasn't flat when I tried the glassless one.
I think I could have printed it at 2.8 and it would be sharp with the glass carrier..

Thanks
Richard