I have a Beseler 45 MCRX with a Universal 45 head, with both the B&W variable contrast controller and the Color controller. I just started printing color again, and the color controller is on the blink. I'll either need to get it serviced, or buy another head like the Dichro 45s (current Beseler model). I will check to see if Beseler will service the Universal 45, but I've heard that the Dichro 45s is the better head for color printing, so buying a new or used is my easiest route.

Or ... I might just buy another more modern enlarger and color head. Used ones are plentiful. The only downside is having to collect all the negative carriers and lensboards I need again.

So with all that in mind, I'm considering options.

I could buy a new Beseler Dichro 45s head for $1900, or find a used one (for probably FAR less money).

I could buy an altogether different enlarger. If I have to spend money, I might as well upgrade. My main limitation is height. My darkroom is a converted bedroom with an 8 foot ceiling.

Aside from Beseler, are there any 4x5 or 5x7 enlargers still being made new with color heads?

If buying used, what are some good enlargers for color printing?