Quote Originally Posted by labyrinth photo View Post
it's is advisable to give the film a bit more when shooting people with dark skin, a stop extra is about right however you choose to achieve this,
The books usually seem to say that taking an exposure from a grey card is the right thing to do, be it B&W or colour neg and in both cases shadow detail( really dark areas) is improved by erring on the side of overexposure which I think is being suggested above.

However if and this "if" is crucial to what I am going to say, the exposure meter gives a reading for 18% grey(zone V) then as dark skin is registered as the equivalent of zone V rather than say zone IV it would seem that a reading from the dark skin should give the right exposure, be it B&W or colour neg.

On this basis a caucasian skin on a colour neg film requires more exposure to lighten it so taking a reading from Caucasian skin requires a stop extra and dark skin requires no extra exposure.

Do I have this wrong and if so how would one judge dark skin's correct exposure from a spot meter or correct exposure for a white wall with texture on colour neg?

pentaxuser