Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
Good question. Why on earth WOULD you use a lens like that in bright light? It's a special purpose built low light lens.

You were clear. There are always special cases and enough other people have made the point that I concede there is an apparent need for slow films though I don't ever personally need them. But come on - shooting that lens wide open in sun? Why?
By using a wide open aperture, you keep depth of field shallow and allow the background to disappear into a blur. As I mentioned, this issue is aperture driven. Not everyone wants to have everything in the frame razor sharp. And no, these lenses were not just for low light. From The OM System Lens Handbook (1983) Page 150:

"The Joys of Wide Open Apertures
In the Old days it was a recognized photo technique to stop down the lens aperture to improve picture quality. In those times lens performance wasn't what it is now, and film performance and flatness also left much to be desired, so stopping down the lens was the sensible thing to do. Perhaps the image of those days is still with us, because many people still seen to think the lens has to be stopped down for satisfying results. But times have changed. Today's lenses are outstanding performers. Especially with lenses like this Zuiko 250mm F2 that makes use of special new types of optical glass, you can get astonishingly sharp images even at wide open apertures. If you can get really sharp images at wide open apertures, except for the narrowing of the depth of field the advantages are extraordinary. Most important of all is that you can use high shutter speeds, or benefit from the superior color rendition of lower speed films."