Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
With my current project I'd spent a few weeks making notes and poring over books. Loaded with inspiration I then started shooting. If however I was to discover the work of somebody else doing something similar, rather than take from it and re-develop my own work, my tendency would be to think "it's already been done" and move on to something else. Is this creative ADHD or do other photographers constantly experience this uncertainty?

How do you really know when your project is worth the time and commitment when, potentially, you could have spent that time doing something else much better and more original?
It makes me wonder if those notable photographers really are blessed or perhaps just lucky in stumbling on an original idea.
There's a rather long video interview with the great photographer Keith Carter on Lynda.com. He talks at length about how photographers "talk themselves out of" projects: "it will cost too much," "it's been done before," etc.

Everyone has influences. Ingres adored David. If he had talked himself out of painting because "it had all been done before" the world would be a much uglier place to live. The fact is that while your style may reflect the influence of Avedon or Adams, your photographs can only be made by one person: you. No one else has your same set of beliefs and experiences; replication is impossible.

I think you have to keep moving forward every day, and recognized that it's no easier to make a great photograph than it is to make a hole in one on a 200 yard Par 3. In fact, it's probably much more difficult.