Quote Originally Posted by Captain_joe6 View Post
I don't know about that order. There were a lot of rumblings about the Chamonix cameras and their old practice of putting the fresnel under the ground glass, which lead to improper focus as the ground glass was not at the film plane, but the fresnel was. They've since changed things and started putting the fresnel on top.

I don't want to claim authority on this one, since I'm far from it. I'm just spouting off that every other camera I've seen with a fresnel has had it on top. YMMV, of course.
You're right about the Chamonix catastrophe, as Ian has already pointed out.

You're mistaken about Graphics. Graflex Inc started offering a fresnel with Graphics (Pacemaker Speed, Pacemaker Crown, Century) when they introduced the Graflok back in 1949. It was an option. As Graflex sold them, the fresnel went between the ground glass and the lens.

This is absolutely not to say that it is safe to put a fresnel in front of the GG in a Graphic focusing panel that was sold without a fresnel. If you dismantle a Graphic focusing panel, you'll see that the GG (and fresnel, if one is there) sits on bosses at the sides of the gate. Focusing panels made to have a fresnel-GG sandwich mounted have low bosses, focusing panels made to have only a GG mounted have high bosses. There's one focusing panel casting for each size of Pacemaker Graphic (2x3, 3x4, 4x5); the bosses on focusing panels that have fresnels were milled down. So, the focusing panel's casting number carries no information about whether the panel want the sandwich or a GG without fresnel.

Practical implications: if the FP has the sandwich, assume that it is original and make sure that the fresnel is between the GG and the lens, also that the ground side of the GG faces the fresnel. If the FP doesn't have the sandwich and you want a fresnel, put it between the GG and the film.