Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
hi batwister

sorry to sound confused
but i don't understand how a photographer,
or someone using a camera these days has to become a jack of all trades ..
because he or she might have to work with a different film than they started with ?

the thing people need to do is embrace change and have an open mind.
always using the same film, subject matter and technique leads to stagnation.
it is always good to try something new, and broaden one's horizons.
AA didn't invent the zone system, he just refined a system that was invented many years before, for his own use.
i have a feeling if he couldn't use it anymore, he would figure out another way to control his tonal range and exposure ...

maybe he would take up painting or stay with music ?
I think sticking to one or two films allows vision to come to the fore, this is when I've been most productive at least. It's extremely difficult to be this disciplined for me, but it always pays off - in the productivity department. It allows me to focus on the end goal of a project, rather than constantly thinking "what film/developer/paper should I use next?" If restricting myself to a particular technique/film led to stagnation, I would put it down to a lack of insight, rather than "I need to use more films/cameras/processes". Michael Kenna has been doing the same thing for years, yet his consistent use of the Hasselblad, medium speed black and white film and high contrast small prints hasn't led to his stagnation - in fact, having this discipline of technique and approach has allowed him to be incredibly prolific within the confines he has set himself. As is the case with David Ward, this kind of tunnel vision approach that many of the great photographers have is becoming impossible - in traditional photography at least. It's just hard to tell at the moment if this is due to the Kodak/Fuji problem or because, like the BJP editor said, photographers are generally moving towards an experimentation with the medium because of the shifting & ever changing options in imaging. But will this shifting ever end? If not, I think it will cause an anxiety in the artist that will always affect the quality of their output.