Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
It's impossible to predict the future, and what materials will be around. To me, the real danger is in the worrying about availability, and becoming hesitant to use what we've hoarded. It could lead to stagnation and paralysis. There are many photographers who we associate with specific materials/cameras/techniques. The good ones will adapt, and grow as image makers. The rest are one-trick ponies...

That being said, I miss many favorite films and papers. I wish we didn't have to discuss this stuff at all.

i couldn't agree more with you eddie !

Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
I think sticking to one or two films allows vision to come to the fore, this is when I've been most productive at least. It's extremely difficult to be this disciplined for me, but it always pays off - in the productivity department. It allows me to focus on the end goal of a project, rather than constantly thinking "what film/developer/paper should I use next?" If restricting myself to a particular technique/film led to stagnation, I would put it down to a lack of insight, rather than "I need to use more films/cameras/processes". Michael Kenna has been doing the same thing for years, yet his consistent use of the Hasselblad, medium speed black and white film and high contrast small prints hasn't led to his stagnation - in fact, having this discipline of technique and approach has allowed him to be incredibly prolific within the confines he has set himself. As is the case with David Ward, this kind of tunnel vision approach that many of the great photographers have is becoming impossible - in traditional photography at least. It's just hard to tell at the moment if this is due to the Kodak/Fuji problem or because, like the BJP editor said, photographers are generally moving towards an experimentation with the medium because of the shifting & ever changing options in imaging. But will this shifting ever end? If not, I think it will cause an anxiety in the artist that will always affect the quality of their output.
i think the thing is to concentrate on what you want to do.
if it is film and developer and paper testing, well, there sure are a lot of
papers and developers and films out there.

while you might think that michael kenna has just done one thing for all these years, i would guess that he
has not, and it only seems that he has. i don't know, i am sure if photographic films and papers all of a sudden
weren't available tomorrow or next week i am sure people who wanted to would be able to figure it out
and make photographs.

it is important to stop worrying about what is going to happen tomorrow and do what you want today...