Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
That seems to be a bit of a fudge all round. The mercury in light bulbs are just as likely to get there. Currently my local authority don't offer any facility for the disposal of fluorescent tubes or the low energy bulbs other than dumping them as landfill.

Personally, I think this is another idea thought up to appease someone else who has interests elsewhere.
That's about right. I have a US gov't. publication dated 1955 which describes flourescent lamps a hazardous waste. However, the mercury cells were a real problem. Who here remembers when mercury D cells were available for meters and other instruments?