Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
Andre, you cannot say with certainty that Ilford will soon be the last of the professional B&W film producers. Fuji makes B&W film too. Mirko said that ADOX is going to come out with new films, starting with a 100 ASA film. And it is too early to say what will happen with Kodak.
Foma too.

Black and white will be ok, I think. I take great solace in this as it's my primary interest anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
Yes. It's time for self sufficiency.

Once Kodak E6 stocks are completely gone from dealer warehouses (a matter of days for some films), Fuji will jack up the price of their abbreviated E6 films, and then follow suit by discontinuing their E6 films altogether a la Kodak. This is not from any official announcement, but based on a long recent history of Agfa, Kodak, Fuji, etc.

As for the C-41 films, Kodak just signed a contract with the motion picture industry to manufacture color films for them to the year 2015 - but Kodak included a clause stating that Kodak can discontinue making film any time before then... Kodak Portra 160 is almost $40 for a 10 sheet box of 4x5. Fuji doesn't even make color negative sheet film anymore.

Right after I bought most of Adorama's stock of 120 format Fuji Reala 100, they raised the price overnight of their remaining stock by about 15%. I couldn't believe my eyes, so I checked my invoice. Yes it's true.

The writing is on the wall, and with a braille plaque beside it.
I don't think you can draw those conclusions. It may go that way, maybe not. The price of Fuji E6 has already increased rather dramatically.

And I'm pretty sure Fuji DOES make their color neg films in sheets, they just don't sell it in North America. It wasn't long ago folks were talking about buying all they wanted from Japan. When it was priced similarly to the excellent (superior in my view) and readily available Kodak color sheet film that didn't make a lot of sense to me. Now, however, it might.

And I hadn't priced color 4x5 in a while. Why on earth is Portra a dollar a sheet more than Ektar??