The author of this thread asked for information about deciding on a light meter. He has been given many choices abut has one been suggested that suits his purpose above any of the others? There are meters that will detect the level of light in a coal cellar at night and those that will give virtually totally inaccurate results in any situation unless you know how to use it properly.

Can I suggest one make that I don't think has been mentioned, is virtually fool proof and that is the venerable Weston range? I have a Weston Euromaster 2 which I have had for more years than I care to remember. I bought it new way back in, I think in the mid 1990's. It may have been even earlier it is so long ago. It doesn't use batteries and has a massive selenium cell with a baffle to give two levels of light acceptance plus a proper invercone to give incident light readings.

I have had it serviced and cleaned just the once in all those years and it has NEVER let me down with estimating an exposure. They are really very reliable pieces of kit and once you have bought one there will never be a good enough reason to change it.

It is used less and less nowadays with the introduction of very reliable matrix metering. I can compare it with that on my Nikon F4 and a 50mm lens and it will never be more than 1/4 of a stop +/- difference. I know the F4 is accurate enough for slides and that is enough for me.

I know they are getting on in years, even the last model but they are totally reliable and will last out many a lifetime. IN UK I can pick up a Euromaster 2 without resorting to 'Fleabay' for as little as 45 or about $80 (US)