Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
I've never seen an enlarger in person. This is a "Beseler Photo Enlarger Model 45MX" but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at. Is this an older looking model? It looks like a light on the base board. So is that an extra light? Is this a complete setup that would enable me to make enlargements? This is all the information I have. I'd like to educate myself a little bit before I call the seller.

In general I'm looking for an enlarger that will do up to 4x5 in B&W.

Thanks for any information.
You can find these in very good shape, where the frame is rigid and does not appreciably vibrate. You can also find them very "bouncy." I would give the u-frame a light smack with the side of your hand and see how quickly it settles down. Some of them can be quite awful. (I've owned three of these over the years.)

Cold light can make nice smooth prints. Most people use a timer/stabilizer combo that keeps the light consistent, as the tube changes output as it warms and cools, and exposures can vary wildly. You'll get more consistent exposures from the condenser head. If you want to go down the rabbit hole, search this site for "Cold Light vs. Condenser."

Most of the neg carriers for this series can be bought used for $20 or so on eBay.

If it's in good shape, you should be able to get it for $50-75. It might be worth a bit more with some lenses and carriers. People are just giving these things away now. Make sure you do your homework so you don't pay too much. I've seen complete darkrooms (with lenses, trays, bottles, everything) go for $200 in Atlanta. If this isn't top notch, just be patient, keep and eye on CraigsList and you'll find another, or something better.