I used to shoot a lot of slide film and I always used Provia for my dusk/evening shots, which almost always yielded really nice results.

I was in Hong Kong two years ago and had less than a day to explore. I used that day to go up the Peak to get a nice view of the harbour. I thought I had showed up early enough -- around 2 or 3 in the afternoon -- but I didn't anticipate the huge lineups to get up the mountain (over 1.5 hours), nor the massive crowds that were on the viewing plaform, who were there either a) to get the famed harbour shot (you could tell from the tripods), b) to view the sunset over the harbour and maybe get a nice shot, but not critical, or c) locals on dates because it's a 'romantic' viewpoint (and who have no clue or care about the photographers waiting for them to move out of the way). So go early. And stake your spot early, especially if you want to be near the rail. And be warned, the most obvious spot, with the best angle of view and no obstructions from the hill or the platform, is used for tourist photography from the on-site photographer. If you set up in that spot (which is at least a couple of meters wide since they don't want any other tourists to spoil the shot) you will be kicked out, and by then the rest of the rail will have been claimed. And make sure you have a sturdy tripod that can handle some vibrations -- from the rail, from the people moving around, from the people bumping you, etc.

I don't want to be a downer here -- I would definitely do it again to get better photos, as I was unprepared for what greeted me when I went there (although hopefully for you it won't be that bad). Unfortunately because of the crowds I was only able to shoot one roll of film. I missed the magic hour of dusk (even though it had been an overcast day anyway), so the sky was quite dark by the time I was able to muscle my way to the rail.

Hong-Kong_web.jpg