Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
I really don't agree with this.... Photography is my hobby. For it is a hobby, I try all kinds of weird things just because I can and it's fun. Sometimes having a proper equipment is the only way. A lot of times, not. If it takes twice the time necessary, so what - as long as I'm having fun or learning. It's a hobby. It's not an efficiency constrained money making venture.

For my job, my employer gets me the proper equipment (sometimes very expensive) that gets the job done most efficiently. I take care of the business and go to the next. It is not a time to try-this-or-that and waste time.

I dunno... I like experimenting. If someone wants to do that, I'd encourage it.
+1

I can't speak for anyone else. I have an embarrassment of "proper" safelights. I'm using a Patterson OC, and I have four or five spare bulbs in a drawer. They're available at Home Depot anyway, just regular 7.5W bulbs that look like old Christmas tree lights except for being clear. I have a Jobo Maxilux LED. I'm using those. I also have a Duka 50 sodium vapor that I am not using because I want to save the tube life for printing color as I know from past use for such that, used carefully, it's safe for RA4. I also have a Kodak safelight I got from someone giving away a load of darkroom stuff. Not sure of the model but it uses relatively huge rectangular filters (8x10 or so?) which I also have.

But I ordered some LEDs. I figure they can probably be brighter and still be safe. I will test, as I always do, for safety, but I want the most light I can get consistent with being safe.

I also use an Orion (an amateur astronomy equipment supplier) red LED flashlight, marketed for and originally purchase for night vision use with star charts and astronomy equipment, for a darkroom flashlight. It works great. I wouldn't shine it at full brightness directly on paper, but that's not what it's for. It's great for looking for dropped items, reading print without turning the lights on etc.