Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
I've just spent a sum of cash on some camping gear with the intention of spending extended periods in wild places from dawn 'til dusk. I feel this is something that will increase my productivity. Without a car, getting to some of the more interesting places in my area requires day long hikes. Exhausting and a waste of light.

Had this in mind since the beginning of the year and to be honest, with winter coming around, I'll probably not get much done before another investment in better clothing and probably another tent!
I'm looking forward to it, but this being my first time wild camping, I'm a little apprehensive. I'm not sure if there are any famous photographers notable for doing this? Something tells me Galen Rowell might have, but I don't know much about his work.

Landscape photography is by nature a lonely business, and this is taking it to the extreme. Part of me feels this kind of isolation in remote places can be detrimental to creative work? Edward Weston did say anything a mile from the road isn't photogenic. Maybe it has to do with the peace of mind needed to produce images, without worrying about finding a camp, food, how cold it might be during the night. But I'm still wondering why more landscape photographers don't do it. Suppose I'll find out!

But has anybody done this? And apart from the back strain induced by the added weight of your backpack, how did you fair up? Is it advantageous for a landscape photographer or a bit of an extremity?

Oh, I just love the idea and reckon you'll find it a real tonic, 'out there' camping solo with the world to yourself. Isolation and the solo experience is the very best you can get for landscape photography. Unfettered and unhinged (well, why not!?) you are at liberty to exercise your creative processes and bring home something truly memorable. Being clever is not enough. The solid human qualities of a freed will and healthy deep feeling, such as what the outdoors provides) must be matched to clear thought.

Mind you, carting in too much photo gear can dent the experience of pleasure and potentially make it a trial. I speak from experience, both good and bad (others I walk with have taken bigger, heavier equipment but also share a tent carried by somebody else!). I have completed a few short overnight walks and one multi-day 70km walk solo carrying 30kg, which included 3.4kg of camera and one lens. In hindsight, the resulting photo opportunities did not warrant taking that much gear: it rained and rained and rained, a cold wind huffed and puffed, the hills made progress very slow and testing and packing/unpacking the gear dramatically slowed progress. On subsequent walks, I took just my pinhole and light meter and a few rolls of film — much better! Then on another walk I went back with the heavy-hitting camera and got several good scenes (which I printed and framed). For the next walk coming up in this, the southern hermisphere spring, I'm leaving it all at home, taking just the beloved XA and pinhole camera with lightmeter. What's that saying I've said here on APUG many times? Experience is a wonderful teacher.