Hiked, skied, climbed, kayaked... yada, yada, yada, with or without the primary goal of photography, using all manner of camera. In fact, I only returned six weeks ago from a wilderness river run, in which the primary goal was to document the journey. Those kinds of activities are a means to an end, or an end to a means, depending on you. Backcountry won't necessarily make you a better photographer, or a better artist. If you thrive on roadless wilderness, that is an end unto itself. I don't believe I've ever taken "better" pictures any distance greater than right next to a well-traveled road. I count myself lucky if I come away with any more than 5 or 6 worthy fine art prints from a week on trail.

You may get to less visited and photographed places, but counting on that alone to improve your work is a fool's errand. One needs to have a love of the wilderness, the good sense and experience to survive in it, the technical ability to use your tools (camera included!), compositional skills, aesthetics, something to say artistically, etc. It turns out that those combinations of qualities may actually be kind of rare.

To be brutally honest, the nature of your question and the issuance of other photographer's quotes indicates to me that you are wholly barking up the wrong tree.