Hmmmph. If you take great photographs in general, you'll take great photos in the wilderness. If you
don't, you won't there either. My philosophy is, why go to all the trouble, then just take some weenie little camera that won't give you something to show for it? My hero in this regard was Vittoria
Sella. Forget about dime-a-dozen snapshooters like Rowell. He was a nice fellow and noted climber,
but other than the Geographicky places he went, the shots themselves are pretty amateurish. He
belonged to the machine-gun school of photography - burn as much film as you can and hope to get
lucky. I'd rather come back from a trip with just one significant 4x5 or 8x10; and that has often been the case. Get out into the light to experience it, bathe in it, not to whore it out on some calendar, and you might actually see something. I passed up about 80% of the remarkable shots I
saw on my last hike simply so I could witness the light without the distraction of shooting itself.
Immerse yourself in the experience, and then you get bonded to it and start looking at the world
in a new way. Study the area in advance, learn where all the stereotypical famous shooting locations are, and as soon as you've identified them, walk exactly the OPPOSITE direction and actually
discover something new yourself!