Save for some non-wilderness related corporate and ad work, this is what I do for a full time living. I almost always get better imagery when I live in the places for a few days rather than look at them from afar on a road or trail side. I have done 3-4 days in one place or moved around for up to two weeks and done very well.

Some of my best selling wilderness imagery is done in a very remote places in the Colorado Rockies that take some rope work to asend cliff bands through places with no trails that often have issues like dead fall in an avalanche paths. Twice now I have done one particularly brutal trip, once with an Xpan, the other with a 501CM and come back with fantastic photographs. This mostly has to do with putting photography second and mountaineering / trekking first. I use Google Earth and other mapping programs a lot in pre-exploring new areas, years of experience has taught me what to look for.

I am currently on assignment in DC, when I get back, I am doing this trip with a 4x5 and three lenses. I hope it snows this time, blue bird days are boring....