Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
The supplier has recommended that before any sort of large-ish order is placed, that a sample of the material be tested. I think this is a good idea considering that the sensitizer can deteriorate and that this stock might be a bit older. However, as a stock of 15 year old UltraStable attests to, this stuff doesn't deteriorate that quickly.
Without a "gold standard" sample to compare it to (e.g. fresh analytical grade from Sigma-Aldrich or something like that), at best the testing would confirm that it is "acceptable"...good enough to work for our purposes. And maybe that's all we need. But we're left not knowing how much "life" is left in it. I think every alt-printer here is used to the idea of having to re-test one's materials from time to time, though.

The bigger question, I think, is whether there will even be another production run, or will we just keep buying from the same batch until it is exhausted, and then be out of luck. Given Secant's current pricing, I'd have to imagine that even a scaled-down production run would have a pricing advantage over TCI, if it happens.

With all that being said, some might think I'm opposed to the idea of a group purchase. Not at all. I started this thread after all, and was just starting to think about re-starting my experimentation with this material when holmburgers popped up with this idea. I just want to make sure everyone understands the possible pros and cons.

Anyone out there have thoughts on what a battery of incoming acceptance tests might be for this material? I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what others think, first.

--Greg

NOTE to CMB: Charles, do you know where Tod Gangler gets his sensitizer from? Hopefully, I'll get a chance to meet him and ask him in person in a couple of weeks, but if you knew now, that might be helpful.