Printed and framed my first prints of a local scene - the huron river and bridge landmarks nearby at a metropark. Went with 16x20 as suggested and am enjoying the process. here are some thoughts that may help others in future perhaps.
The Ventillation I installed still requires additional work even after the $100 invested. The newly installed outflow requires more inflow than my space affords naturally for sufficient change over so will need to pipe in air; printing to this size really fills the space with fumes. I installed an 8" 500cfm inline duct fan and descended two 6" drops to just above trays. The suction is weaker than i anticipated, barely holding a piece of paper in place when covering the inlets.
For water, I was able to use an existing cold water outlet and bought an inexpensive hot plate to warm the water in an aluminum pitcher in order to mix developer batches without bringing water in as I have done previously. I was given trays by a friend as well as two plastic 2000ml beakers needed to make sufficient quantities of dev and fix; it takes 2x as much minimally.
I am on septic so storing all that spent fix in 5 gal container until disposal is a pain and humping remaining water from the session upstairs is tiresome until i install final drainage into sump.
I am hawking for a new enlarger lens; balancing max column height with focal length. I did figure out an issue to allow me to print imperfectly for now using 75mm lens with other members input under a separate post.
I like the feel if not the cost of the double weight fiber paper i ordered; it holds up well to my manhandling. I can store in the box it came in being careful not to let it open accidentally and put vertically in the closed counter.
Doing more than a print or two at a time or with any frequency would require me to solve the print wash problem, but for now manual soak and change during course of an hour is sufficient.
I also bought a steel sheet sufficiently thick to work as my easel. i sprayed it with polyurethane to keep it from rusting/clean and used painters tape to mark the outer dimensions of the paper. I then bought a strip of magnet and cut it to required lengths to hold the paper flat and it gives me a small border too; all for $25.
Tons of issues to perfect over time including spotting as mentioned and others, but am on my way
The joy of printing the ratio afforded by 6x7 neg is great. I want to look further into frame options as not sure i like 18 x 24 frames with 16 x 20 prints ; at least in landscape orientation and even matting borders. Maybe portrait orientation prints with greater bottom border relief would be appealing.
But Going from 11x14 to 16x20 is certainly a major overhaul that magnifies every step in the process. Great if you like a challenge, have the time, afford the investment, and have the wall space to enjoy the result. Has been a rewarding next step in the process. thanks again for all your input.
Last edited by sharris; 09-11-2012 at 08:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.