Jerry - what do you fuse the borax in? And then how do your get it out??

I'm guessing that you'll need a ceramic crucible. And from making borax beads in Qualitative Chemistry class, then when the fused borax cools, it's going to make a rather hard block in the bottom of the crucible. And hard to get out without breaking the crucible...

I used to analyze plant matter for fluoride (they were testing down-wind from an aluminum refining plant) by dissolving it in sodium hydroxide using zirconium crucibles. (You could not use ceramic as the glazing on the ceramic dissolved, and you could not use a platinum crucible as the platinum would dissolve - a rather expensive mistake if one tried it!!) The hydroxide would set up so hard in the crucible that you could not chip it out without it flying all over the place, causing you to ruin the sample, so I came up with the trick of swirling the hot, molten hydroxide around until it chilled and set to the sides of the crucible. Then when fully cool, I could toss them in a beaker and rinse them with dilute HCl until the hydroxide dissolved. You can't do that when you're trying to make anhydrous borax...